Lemon & Ginger Chicken with Cannellini Beans
Today we have another hearty recipe from the fabulous Mike Ward – perfect for warming you up on a chilly December evening, and perfect for reheating the next day for a healthy office lunch.
Serves 4 – takes 20 mins
I adore dishes that have an identity crisis. Asian meets Italian? … Don’t know, and don’t care, food labels bore me. But I tell ya, this dish is not boring. Immensely hearty, but light at the same time. I’m sure it will become a weeknight favourite with your gang as it has with mine.
– 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
– ¼ cup, finely chopped ginger
– 6 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cut into ¼’ strips
– 1 can (540ml) white kidney beans (Cannellini beans), rinsed and strained
– 3 cups chicken stock, low sodium preferred (veg stock works also)
– zest of 1 lemon
– juice of ½ lemon
– Spring onions (thinly slice on the diagonal)
– Red chili, finely chopped (to taste)
In a heavy base pot on med/high heat add a good splash of a neutral oil (vegetable or canola), sear off chicken thighs, add a pinch of salt.
When thighs take a on a little colour add onions and ginger with another pinch of salt. Sear until onions are opaque (you don’t want them to brown) – reduce heat if required. Then add stock, lemon zest, juice and beans. Simmer for 10 mins on med heat. Don’t put a lid on the pot, you want the dish to reduce and thicken a little.
Check seasoning, garnish with spring onions and chili to taste.
This is also a delicious make-ahead dish, reheats perfectly in the microwave.