Kid Friendly & Nutritious Chicken
Sarah Wilson is a former newspaper, magazine and TV journalist, who quit sugar as a bit of an experiment and has never looked back. After quitting sugar, Sarah felt more energised, with better skin and a greater sense of well being. You can find out more about Sarah and her delicious recipes on her website, I Quit Sugar.
This recipe comes from Sarah’s second book – I Quit Sugar For Life. She says: “You won’t want to touch the one with secret herbs and spices after tasting this finger-lickin’ version, made with secret (disguised) extra-dense nutrition.”
60 ml buttermilk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 medium garlic clove
500 g chicken, drumstick
approximately 4 drumsticks
¼ cup gluten-free plain flour
(or regular plain flour if you prefer)
½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp white sesame seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika, ground
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
5 ml extra virgin olive oil
olive oil cooking spray (optional)
1 medium white potato, regular
peeled and cut into quarters
½ cup green peas, frozen
½ head broccoli
stalk chopped into 1cm cubes and florets roughly chopped
2 tsp unsalted butter
200 g coleslaw mix
2 tsp mayonnaise, full-fat, whole-egg
- Prepare the chicken by whisking the buttermilk with the mustard and minced garlic in a large glass bowl until well combined. Add chicken and turn to coat, then cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Put the flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, paprika, salt and pepper into a medium-sized zip-lock bag. Shake 1 or 2 pieces of the marinated chicken at a time in the bag until coated. Shake off any excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared baking tray.
- Spray the chicken pieces lightly on both sides with olive oil (optional). Place in the oven and bake until golden brown and no longer pink in the centre (approximately 45 minutes), turning halfway through cooking.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the Green Mash by placing the potato and broccoli stalks in a saucepan of water over high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a rolling simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Add peas and broccoli florets and cook for another 3 minutes or until just tender, then drain and add butter. Mix well, then mash the lot using a fork. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the Quick Coleslaw combine coleslaw mix and mayonnaise together in a small bowl. Toss until slaw is evenly coated in mayonnaise.
- Once chicken is cooked, serve the drumsticks with the Green Mash and Quick Coleslaw.